Criminal Interrogations and Confessions, Fifth Edition presents the Reid Technique of interviewing and interrogation and is the standard used in the field. This updated Fifth Edition presents interviewing and interrogation techniques, based on actual criminal cases, which have been used successfully by thousands of criminal investigators. This practical text is built around simple psychological principles and examines interrogation as a nine-step process that is easily understood by the reader.
New and Key Features of the updated Fifth Edition:
- The text contains updated photographs throughout to illustrate behavior symptoms; the proper room setting and positioning; as well the placement of electronic recording equipment.
- Every chapter of the text includes updated information.
- Chapter 9 (Behavior Symptom Analysis) contains new research that has been conducted on the efficacy of behavior symptom analysis, as well as building for the reader the behavioral model of the truthful individual versus the subject who is withholding or fabricating relevant information.
- Chapters 7 through 12 discuss in detail how to build the investigative interview, including the proper use of both investigative and behavior provoking questions, as well as guidelines for evaluating the credibility of allegations, and the proper use of follow-up and bait questions.
- Chapter 15 (Distinguishing between True and False Confessions) has been updated to include new cases throughout and contains two new sections; "The Issue of False Confessions in the Courtroom - The Testimony of Expert Witnesses" and "The Issue of False Confessions in the Courtroom - Court Decisions".
- Chapter 17 discusses all of the legal issues related to interrogation and confession law, including Miranda, the meaning of custody, the use of threats and/or promises, the use of deception, and confession voluntariness. The chapter contains updated legal references including 2011 court decisions.
Table of Contents
Part 1 Preliminary Considerations
Part 2 Interviewing Techniques
- Distinctions between Interviews and Interrogations
- Obtaining and Evaluating Factual Information
- Case Solution Possibilities
- Initial Precautionary Measures for the Protections of the Innocent
- Privacy and the Interview Room
- Qualifications, Attitude, and General Conduct of the Investigator
Part 3 Interrogation Techniques
- Preparation and Starting the Interview
- Formulating Interview Questions
- Behavior Symptom Analysis
- Precautions when Evaluating Behavior Symptoms of Truthful and Untruthful Subjects
- The Behavior Analysis Interview
- The Use of Specialized Questioning Techniques
- The Reid Nine Steps of Interrogation
- Recommendations for Interrogators
- Distinguishing between True and False Confessions
- Testifying on a Confession
- Interrogation Law
Click here for the complete Index
> Buy Now
RPGA, Consortium and Reid Institute Members Price - $89.00 per user
($23.95 savings from standard pricing)
>Login to Purchase
plus shipping and handling
Did you know Reid Institute, RPGA and Consortium Members are able to purchase our products at a discount? Read More ... >
Reid Institute, RPGA, and Consortium.